Wednesday, November 30, 2005

War Journal 002: Breaking Gentoo on a Centrino

the war is going badly.

i had a near perfect gentoo system. sure i haven' t had time to play with the wlan stuff. though i had the kernel modules compiled for it. work stuff had me occupied leaving no spare time to play with the wlan stuff.

i sync'd with the gentoo servers this morning (well morning in my timezone). then ran emerge to update portage then executed an emerge world (to update the system). no big problem right? very simple. i did the same thing the day before for my home machine to work so that while i was doing loads of stuff, it was compiling behind me. not a problem, mission accomplished like it should be.

well i brought the notebook with me to a meeting just across the street at the country waffle. leaving it on the table beside me, compiling (i carried it while running thereby not missing a beat as my people and i waited for our morning meet). all is well the meeting completed and as we were paying the bill, i peaked at the machine and it failed to compile one packaged thereby killing portage. no problem--- i forgot the exact package it should still be in the notebook (linux reiserfs partition, i rebooted in frustration to windows). but since we were done i said i ought to just shut it down. and since the battery was running low, it wasn't a problem. i executed a halt on the terminal (i was root on gnome) and the system shut down fine.

we walked backed to the office and upon returning to my little piece of the kingdom, plugged it to the wall socket and continued. oh my was I wrong! the network wouldn't go up! i quickly searched /var/log/message did something happen to my lan? no, the ethernet card was running properly. network connections from two other workstations on my cube were all right. what went wrong, i asked myself, frantic.

iproute2 error. no ip. somehow my network couldn't go up. what was wrong? i briefly recalled that i ran an etc-update and picked -5 (over write) oh oh. clock was set to utc--- i always edit it to "local" net.eth0 is pointed to net.lo oh oh. but my net.eth1 is present. oh oh. i goofed.

in my haste, i somehow overwrote my configurations. no big problem right? simply cp net.eth1 to net.eth0 because they were essentially the same thing... and edit /etc/conf.d/net to reflect that eth0 is dhcp... but nada. i did that. nada.

i recompiled the kernel--- i was going to do it anyway because i fetched 2.6.14-rc2 but haven't had the time to compile. i copied my .config, and item by item after executing a make menufconfig checked the kernel. cool. everything in proper order and i ran make && make modules && make modules_install && make install.

rebooting, it was still the same. i was going crazy. it was time to go to google and search. apparently someone already had a similar problem--- gentoo wouldn't bring up the network. i had left my case of cds at home--- purposely thinking i didn't need the livecd. so i fetched one, a simple 60mb download, burned it and booted to gentoo.

the googled page suggested to chroot to the gentoo system and emerge net-tools. i did. rebooted.
nothing. nada. everything else is working properly. i don't know why the machine is broke. i need to hit myself in the head. it might have been the etc-update--- i did something stupid in haste.

i will be backing up my files and burining them to disc tonight. good thing i still have windows and still can do some work done before i get a change to rebuild gentoo on my centrino.

lesson # 1 in gentoo--- don't do anything in haste.

No comments: