Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Applegoo

i never open my gmail. ok, almost never, yet my gmail account remains to be my primary email address. in fact, the only reason i keep my yahoo email now is because of my yahoo messenger--- where most of my friends are attached to.

i've taken to using gmail's pop3 features. i've set my gmail account to archive all email after my apple mail has downloaded it. it saves me a browser tab. and i don't have to keep looking at a browser window to see if i have new messages: Apple Mail like every other email client does that for you.

don't get me wrong. i love the clean look and feel of gmail. its functionality is the best with yahoo's new beta the worst of the lot. gmail's clean interface lets me effortlessly search for email--- which i do and hardly the only time i ever open it. that and finding out some obscure email address that hasn't found its way to my computer's contact list.

there is also a way to get your mail through rss but i find rss news readers to be overwhelming, whereas if the message is already with me on Apple Mail... i can simply answer it and gmail's threading identification thingy is somewhat simulated in Apple Mail where related threads are highlighted. Still nothing beats the real thing which really turns your emails into conversations.

I delete all mail i get from my gmail account. why the heck should i keep it together with all the clutter on my hard drive? Google has an archive of my mail online for me to search. So my Apple Mail is empty. Google has done a spectacular job of archiving my email.

if you're interested in using the same work flow click here to visit Gmail Help Center to help you configure your own pop3--- which works for almost every email client in Linux, Windows and the Mac.

No comments: